Saturday, February 11, 2006

Mystery - My Story

I guess they've finally decided to let me tell my story. They made me come out from under my nice warm heat lamp for this, so I'm going to try to be quick about it.

Mom's roommate adopted me in December 1994, when I was 6 months old, and gave me to Mom as a gift. Mom and Dad knew each other then, so I was really both of theirs from the start, but I lived with Mom. I was about 8" long and I loved to climb the curtains and get to the highest place possible. My name at the time was "Mr. Iguana" because nobody knew if I was a girl or a boy. I got the name Mystery when I somehow cut my finger and had to go to the v-e-t. They figured they'd better give me a real name (duh) so they thought Mystery sounded close to what they'd been calling me and that became my name. The v-e-t told them I was a girl, but that he didn't think I would lay eggs that year because he couldn't feel any. About two weeks later, I laid 30+ eggs! Of course they didn't hatch since they weren't fertilized, but I showed that v-e-t!

I moved around with Mom and Dad to a few different apartments, none of which allowed pets, so they learned to be tricky in hiding me. Since I enjoy taking baths or showers anyway, when maintenance came in, Mom would put me in the shower. They didn't have any kitties when they lived in apartments, but at one place there was a cat that they would let in from time to time, because he was always outside in the cold (he belonged to the people across the street). They did have a fishie named Enigma that they won at a carnival. He lived to be about 7 years old and just went to the Bridge about a year ago.

When they finally got their own house they built me a nice big enclosure, which is where I spend most of my time. I go outside to bask in the sun sometimes, but I don't really like my harness. Mom and Dad are worried that I will get away, so they are going to build me a basking box.

I am about two years old in the picture. Mom better get some newer pictures of me on here because I am now about 5 feet long (mostly tail) and too big to climb the curtains! I'm starting to get a little chilly, so I'm heading back to my toasty heat lamp!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story! I hope you warmed back up quickly!

12:40 AM  
Blogger craziequeen said...

cool - I have never met a igan.......igun.....lizard before! :-)

charlie

4:05 PM  
Blogger Spock said...

If you're 5 feet long then you're almost as tall as my Mom!! :) HEHEHE, wait till I tell her!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Shaggy and Scout said...

Hi Mystery!! You are a beautiful iguana girl. Moms nephew has one & he loves to bask too. We look forward to seeing more pictures of you!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Mathias42 said...

Lizards are CCCCCUUUTTTEE!

THen again, that one looks big enough to swallow me whole.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home